Intro to user testing
This day-long workshop is a practical introduction for people wanting to learn about how to improve the usability of software applications or websites. In a nutshell, user testing involves sitting down with real users, getting them to use a piece of technology, and figuring out what annoys or frustrates them. Using hands-on exercises and rich examples from New Zealand and overseas organisations we will cover:
- An introduction to usability
- Planning a test
- Recruiting participants
- Writing the script
- Moderating and observing test sessions
- Analysing and presenting results
Each attendee will receive a pack of useful templates and sample documents, along with a copy of Steve Krug’s excellent book on basic user testing, “Rocket Surgery Made Easy”.
During the workshop participants will:
- Understand fundamental usability concepts and issues
- Learn how to design and plan user tests
- Learn how to facilitate and observe user tests
- Learn how to analyse and report the results of user testing
- Learn practical tips and tricks from the school of hard knocks
Who should attend?
- Designers and developers of all kinds of interactive technologies including websites, intranets, software applications, IVR systems, consumer electronics and mobile phones
- Usability specialists
- Business analysts responsible for screen designs
- Project managers wanting to know more about how user testing fits into the wider product development lifecycle
- Market researchers wanting to know how to incorporate observational research into their projects
Previous training participants have included people from BNZ, Trademe, Datacom, the Department of Conservation, Victoria University, ACC and many others.
- “Very relevant to my role.”
- “Well structured, excellently presented.”
- “Entertaining examples from actual projects.”
- “Great practical tips.”
Optimal Usability has no set dates for 2012 for this course, however we are happy to present this course to your internal team. We can even alter the content to be company or industry specific for you. Please contact [email protected] for more information or for a quote.